Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Like that old saying goes...

No news is good news, right? The last two silent weeks have been so much fun and so busy, definitely defining the phrase "summer in full-swing." Funny how that works, the crescendo of summer, things getting so fun so fast that it's almost time to start wanting structure and for life to slow down again.

4th of July wasn't super eventful. I was home nursing my 3rd of July sunburn. But the 3rd was awesome. I went with Justin, Aaron, David and Trent down to Glendale Reservoir. It's near Preston. It has boat access, allows booze, campfire, campers and dogs, but it's pretty clean in comparison to the typical lake party places like Twin Lakes. Even on the 4th of July weekend, there was a shore space and it wasn't crazy busy. However, all five of us had not applied enough sunscreen to be out there for four hours.

New Student Orientation (NSO) was last week. The campus was teeming with Freshmen. I missed the morning sessions of information because I was at my other job. However, I made it in time for the ballroom event where all the organizations on campus are invited to set up informational booths.I compiled a video of the people I talked to that represented different departments and clubs. There were so many that I missed getting a good interview with... LGBTSA, Swing Club, Help Desk, Greek Life etc. There were also so many booths that were too busy to get footage of as well, basically all things dealing with financial aid, class schedules and tours of campus. The whole day was topped off with an AMAZING rainstorm. Consequentially, concert on the quad was moved indoors and I just couldn't talk myself into walking there in that stormy weather.

I hit the jackpot thrifting and yard sale-ing this weekend. I found some italian leather shoes and an amazing brass bottle opener in the shape of an owl. I don't even drink stuff that needs a bottle opener. It was just that cool. These are the moving days though. There are yard sales every weekend. One of my friends expressed that she doesn't particularly like yard sales because there's more crap to sift through than at the thrift stores and that she doesn't like to know who had it before her. But I disagree...   at a yard sale, I'm less likely to feel like I need to immediately wash my hands upon leaving as opposed to going to a thrift store and feeling filmy when you're done. Yard sales are super interesting to me. It's an opportunity to see what people will part with and how much it costs to get them to part with it.

One of my friends has been in the moving process. It is absolutely amazing how much stuff one person can collect over 5 years. I was helping pack boxes and unpack boxes. Which I really don't mind doing, but I know many who find it tedious and honestly, it's not the most efficient way to get from one place to another. Having moved 3 times in the past few years I've learned the following things.

  • Pick a moving day. 
  • Collect enough boxes to move all of your stuff (from grocery stores, walmart, liquor stores)
  • Set aside what you think you'll need for the two weeks prior to moving, also set aside a tote or box in which to carry said items. 
  • PACK EVERYTHING ELSE BEFORE MOVING DAY. (If you're so inclined, mark the contents of boxes and clearly mark the heavy boxes)
  • Advertise among friends that you need help moving. Be kind. Give them advance notice. Acknowledge that they may only be able (or want) to help for an hour or two. Maybe throw in free pizza and beverage to entice them. They don't have to help you and your move depends entirely on their graciousness and willingness to assist. 
  • Find one friend with a truck to help, especially. Maybe consider getting them a gift card for helping and a little cash for gas. 
My dear friend has been moving for over a week now. I really don't think it needs to take that long. My last move from a house to a studio (so yes, enough stuff to furnish a house) took an hour and fifteen minutes. Of course, I'm subtracting the packing time. Having done this process with many friends in different states of disorganization, please consider the people you're asking the favor of and be prepared to make the most of their time. 

Also, I'd love to acknowledge the office of Financial Aid for getting my loans and grants figured out a MONTH earlier this year! My stress levels thank you... and so does my savings account (it wasn't fully prepared to take on the responsibility of paying for school entirely). 

43 days until school starts...   

XO, Nanette

No comments:

Post a Comment