Wednesday, June 22, 2011

A Little Thinking...

Hey! 

So it's been a long week and it's only Wednesday morning. I'm working on a new project at work. I'm finally digging into a video project. Okay... I was hired based on my YouTube stuff and my previous promotional work. I'm finding it much harder to find my professional voice and find happy shiny faces to be in front of the camera while I'm behind it, whereas I'm used to sitting in front of my iSight cam and just goofing from there. So far I've learned:
  1.  Big expensive camera equipment is scary and intimidating. 
  2.  The only way to get this project rolling is by failing some and taking something from those failures.
  3.  There are a lot of REALLY cool people on campus willing to help out if you just ask.  
This week's concert on the quad is a little country. That means I'll probably require some severe motivational speaking to get myself there. That's something I can say for college, I'm becoming a better self-motivational speaker: convincing myself to get out of bed, convincing myself to wear clothing, convincing myself that I should go to class, convincing myself to go to work. I blame my couch. If I sit on it, there is little else I want in life. I also blame my computer... glowing screen of hypnotic doom. From these multiple motivational speeches I've learned:
  1.  I really stink at going to class/work/social events before 10 a.m.
  2.  It's easier to get going if I pick out clothing the night before or at least between snoozes on the alarm clock. 
  3. I could sell sand to a camel. Too bad that sometimes that sand is sleep and the camel is myself.
Photo by Philip Murphey - Ashley Kirby. 
I went to Coho (big yellow building on 4th near Elmer's) last night for the open mic night. I was informed that it happens every Tuesday. I'm seriously considering getting a little jazz set together. My voice student, an enthusiastic 12 year old, is doing a set there soon. Maybe I'll do one too. It's a good little venue, intimate and small. Phil, the owner, has it rigged with mics, a keyboard, music stands, stools as needed and a little extra light in the performing area. Last night there were a few acoustic guitar sets and one guy read some poetry he wrote. It seemed like a great place to just try stuff out. People were very forgiving of mistakes because they're there to enjoy themselves, not listen analytically (dang that classical music training). If you're ever bumming around on a Tuesday night, try heading over there... maybe sing something, maybe read something.... maybe just take it all in. 

XO, Nanette

1 comment: