Wednesday, August 3, 2011

As school draws near...

It's weird. But this year I'm getting a little excited to start going to class again. Now, I used to feel this way as a little kid because school was a great place to be with friends. It was also a great place to do art projects and play on the playground. It's also invigorating to get new crayons and notebooks... pristine white pages that line up so neatly. I still get a little buzz when I get to go office supply shopping. "A [sharpie], a [sharpie], my kingdom for a [sharpie]!" - Shakespeare.

In the life of Nan, summers are the time when we press the giant "RESET" button of life. They usually have themes. Last summer was the summer of read, the time before was the summer of write and this summer is the summer of rediscovery. It's been a revisitation of all the things I've forgotten about loving.

  • Doodling on saturday mornings while watching cartoons. 
  • Reading more than one book at a time. 
  • Afternoon naps
  • Swimming in lakes 
  • Collecting freckles
  • Going yard sale-ing
  • Taking pictures
  • Making myself write again. 
Hard life, right? The summer of rediscovery has been light and refreshing. This semester (my last) is padded with classes that I needed to meet financial aid requirements. You know, swimming class, beginning dance, creative writing workshop... stuff like that. I'm hoping that before graduating and going to the great beyond (professional life), I can, again, find what is important to me, thus guiding the career search. 

Now... All these office supply sales are happening and I have yet to get my financial aid refund. Word on the street (aka website and email) is that if you're getting a direct deposit that ISU will be processing those Friday, August 12. This happens every year. The 12th rolls around and no one has gotten their check or deposit. Friends are freaking out. Gradually, the kids at the ISU credit union get theirs first and the people using other banks tizzy even harder. 

FACT OF LIFE: Bank transactions and financial stuff will take time to process. 

Just plan on it coming a few days later. You'll still have time for book shopping, paying rent and buying new clothes. Just sit tight. Be patient. Also... as you read this, keep in mind I'm a student with no more knowledge than most other students. I'm not making a promise on behalf of the university... just a prediction on behalf of myself. 

XO, 
Nanette


1 comment:

  1. I like the themed "summers of" and found those to be true in my life.

    ReplyDelete