Tuesday, August 23, 2011

First Day Of School... Side A

Normally, as a music major, the piece of paper in my planner would have between eight and ten classes listed and it would barely equate to 13 or 14 credits. This semester, I feel like a more normal student with my mere six classes.

Today was Creative Writing Workshop with Ms. Goslee. Now, she made it very clear that whatever happens in class, stays in class (very much so like Vegas). So I can't divulge too much about what goes on in there, but I will certainly say it's a classroom full of very interesting characters. The mom, the accountant, the handful of english majors that haven't decided to seek a more cash oriented degree, that girl with the emo hair and the skinny jeans, the overeager, but I'll tell you what's missing... the apathetic. It's absolutely lovely to have a class that everyone seems invested in. This isn't a prerequisite. This isn't a goal class. It's a collection of interesting people with interesting stories (I hope).

Great Aunt Loma - Look at those curls!
Ms. Goslee is chipper and fun. But firstly, I noticed her very curly and playful hair. She is humorous. She is definitely clever. Today during class I noticed a man through the window in the door going into his office, another English professor I assume. He sports the same curly hair. And Ted, an English grad student friend of mine, also sports the same natural perm. I can't help but be led to the conclusion that their brain is so crazy, so full of ideas and so creative that their hair is charged by the rapid electricity of constant thought.

It was a great 50 minutes. Now, let's get serious, Nanette. You WILL go to class. You WILL be prepared. You WILL NOT get lazy or procrastinate-y or excuse-y. You will be curly headed and full of creativity. And THAT is the bottom line!

How was yours? Do you have any goals for yourself this semester?


XO, Nanette

5 comments:

  1. Mahah! My psych professor made the same vegas comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when people actually WANT to be in a class. All my classes this semester are required for a variety of degrees, and everyone HAS to be there. So, of course, within a couple weeks those that don't really want to be there will have disappeared, and I will actually be able to find a seat that I can see the professor from. (How's that for a run-on sentence?) Anyway, hope the semester goes well for you! We WILL go to class!

    -Mike

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will tell you my main goal this year (besides to graduate): to be more involved in campus life! I am almost done with my college experience and I worry I will leave with regrets that I didn't attend enough campus events and activities. I went to the Welcome Back Orange and Black event on Monday, so I feel like I am off to a good start:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A students sit in the front middle of the classroom, not on the sides or, worst of all, in back. Get right up there where the action is. Unless your class is in a circle, in which case sit across from the professor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree with anonymous here. It's such a waste of time, education and money to not be involved in your class. I mean... you can stay home and sleep or doodle for free.

    What's life at all if we don't live in the moment?!

    Erin, have you been keeping an eye on the campus calendar?

    ReplyDelete