Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Baby's First Game

Sooooo.... I went to an ISU football game. The first sporting event of my collegiate career. I didn't know what to expect. I mean, I went to a couple outdoor games in high school. What do you WEAR to an indoor game? What do you take? I'm a redhead. I don't wear orange. I have a black dress. That's ALMOST school spirit? right? Then I packed my bag full of homework and things to distract myself with incase it was SUPER sucky.

I went up to the Holt with a photographer friend. She hooked me up with an all access press pass. I wandered down on the field. The new field looks less fake and it's squishy. Feeling a little uncomfortable (not having attended any of these games and having privileged access), I returned to my rightful place in the stands.
Photo Courtesy of ISU Photographic Services
I sat near the band. My people. I was in the family section. There was an over-gelled and proud father bouncing his knee in anticipation in front of me. He had his video camera out in preparation for the entrance of the team through the inflatable Bengal head. The feeling was electric. Anticipation. I wasn't entirely surrounded by people. I wasn't ready for the real immersion. I'm still an outsider to this whole sporting event thing.

The game started without much hurrah until the first down. Then cheerleaders and band kids and bengal dancers all went crazy. Music! Movement! Shouting! The Idaho Central Credit Union (to whom we owe our thanks for the new field in conjunction with other contributors) handed out free horns to attendees. Each one has a number. If your number is called at any game this season, you can win $100. The horns droned like a traffic jam for the entirety of the game. We scored a touchdown only minutes in.

Was I mistaken? Isn't our recent legacy one of losing every game? I was posting facebook updates as the game went on. We were completing passes, interceptions, plays... TOUCHDOWNS. I'm not a sports person, but I do have a flare for the dramatic, and what a terrific way to start the season. People around me were shouting at random times. I guess you don't have to wait for the right time. It's like shouting "hallelujah" when the spirit hits you. I was tempted to yell random phrases like "GODSAVETHEQUEEN!" because it seems like if you were going to do it, the football game would be an acceptable place.

The father guy in front of me was talking to himself and whomever else was listening. He gave the play by play. He yelled at the refs. He jumped to his feet. He waved his camera around. He rocked in his seat. I suppose this is why people love sports. The immersion. The forgetting where you are.

I watched the band students in the times when I didn't know what was going on. They instrument dance. Whenever they play, the bengal dancers get jiggy in the endzone. Those poor students were clad in polyester in that HOT arena.

We won the game. 44 - 7 (in case you didn't catch the score). I might go to the next one...   Step a little further into the pool. Normally I'm a jump-head-first kind of gal. But this is taking some getting used to.

XO,
Nanette

1 comment:

  1. God save the queen! I need to remember that for my next sport-type event. Which will most likely be something involving nephews and other tiny children and will be my first step towards solidifying my "eccentric auntie" reputation.

    ReplyDelete