Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The English Department Social

Photos Courtesy of  Carlen Donovan
As part of my creative writing class, extra credit was offered to attend the English Department Meet and Greet. Heck yes, I'll take a free assignment or absence! That's just enough to get a long weekend if I need it. I even skipped one of my easier classes for it.

The party was in the LA student lounge/reading room. It was absolutely packed. I was glad to get there early. Professors had baked goods (or at least picked them up from Fred Meyer) and there was a raffle for bookstore gift cards. Students slowly filtered in as time wore on; that girl from my german class, two of my employees from distance learning, the guy who does the movie reviews on the local channel, the guy with the long hair that I saw at the quad concerts.

Everyone was very friendly. Writer students. It was a room full of eyes. Lots of observation. Lots of talking. The professors were milling about as well. Susan Goslee was in charge of coordinating the event. She got an excellent turn out. She had provided students with writing/talking prompts like "What sort of school uniforms would you implement at ISU?" or "Best movie adapted from a book."  I also met all of the Donovans, Carlen and Will and their adorable son. Carlen Donovan roved around getting photos of the event.

I made a few new acquaintances. I had an excellent brownie. I didn't win a raffle. But I did enjoy watching and talking with other students.

XO, Nanette
PS. Going to the Volleyball game this weekend at Reed Gym. Starts at 2:00p.m. Maybe I'll see you there?

2 comments: