Friday, June 10, 2011

Quad Concert... Round Two

I'm sitting in the SUB again for another quad concert (rained out again). Now, I looked up both of the bands before I came so I'd know what to expect. I'd suggest it, so you know what you're getting yourself into. Though next week's opener is a great local band, Somewhere In The Middle. They've played all the bars and performed at RiverFest last year. Okay... I might be biased. My friend, Chris McElprang, is their bassist.

At the Student Activities table they had T-shirts and fun trinkets for purchase. T-shirts can be purchased  for 3 cans of food or a $5 donation to the food bank... just like last time. But apparently they're color coordinated to the promo material. Each event is a different color. Tonight's is yellow. So even if you've never heard of the band... if you think you'll look good in green, come to the green concert. Or The red, or the blue, or the purple... you get the idea. 

The opening act, Vestige Vindicated, is a local band from McCammon. Now, I'm not well-versed in acoustic emo-punk-esque bands, but I guess I'd could compare their sound to Strung Out's "Velvet Alley" on the Punk Goes Acoustic album. 
It was an interesting contrast with the main act JD Eichner. He played his own guitar, wrote some of his own music and did a GREAT cover of "Banana Pancakes" by Jack Johnson. It was a really chill, coffeehouse sort of vibe. It was disappointing that the audience was so much smaller than last time (I think they had 900 people here last time?)... JD was great. He was musical, personable with the audience and not to mention pretty attractive. From the rumor mill, I hear that Student Activities Board (SAB) is trying to bring him back (with the rest of his band this time) for another gig this fall. I hope they do. That's something I'd go to.

I made a new friend while at the concert, Phillip. He's on the Student Activity Board. I was glad on two accounts - A) it's always lovely to meet new people and B) It made me look busy when I ran into the ex AGAIN. I will give Mr. ex points for liking live music.

Next week is the blue week. Come grab a T-shirt, donate to the food bank, run into friends (or foes), listen to Somewhere In The Middle and Truman 

XO, Nanette


11 comments:

  1. I'm actually not playing with them anymore, but I appreciate the name drop.I also really really like the way you write.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to be on the side of us cynical students Nanette! It's about time we get the true perspective of the students represented at ISU.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell us what you really think! If I wanted to read the washed out editorials of student staff writers I'd read the Bengal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your reviews of these events are so intriguing, and knowing the breadth of your playlist, you've clearly got a knack for comparable sounds...and who doesn't get a kick out of narrow misses with the ex? xD

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is Lisa, not some chicken who takes potshots from a hiding place. Nanette, pay no mind to small minds. I think you write VERY well and I always understand what you're saying and what you really thinks about something. I like that you're not all "happy, happy, joy, joy", as that would be too saccharin to be enjoyable. But the TITLE of this blog is that you're coming from the place of a CYNICAL student, so I expect to hear some criticism, and am enjoying watching your view unfold and hopefully change. Paint me slightly cynical, too. As a non-trad student who does not live near campus, I've rarely gone to the weekly offerings. And I don't think I'm (we're) alone -- there are plenty of people who don't get involved. Good for you for changing your stripes this late in the game, and having the guts to write about it. A lot of us are enjoying your entries here. And the rest? Kick 'em to the curb.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How do you know what's happening on campus? These all sound fun but i'm always out of the loop

    ReplyDelete
  7. Also, Somewhere In the Middle has peppered the country with shows in New Orleans, Nashville, Omaha, and Las Vegas. As well as numerous shows in parts of California, Oregon, and Washington. Occurring in both bars and legitimate music venues.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ teaira... there's a campus calendar online. go to Isu.edu, click quick links in the upper right hand corner. then click calendars. and then click on the ISU events calendar. Or just friend Cory winter or Student Activities Board on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the shout out Nanette! I love your blog because it offers a different perspective of the goings on here on campus. I'm all for diversity of opinions. I tend to be rather cynical myself, but I still attend loads of events and am heavily involved here on campus because ... well WHY NOT! It's usually free and a great way to meet new and exciting people (hey look at us!). Keep up the sharp tongue Nanette!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the review! Your posts make me regret not going to these, I must go to the concert on the quad this week!

    ReplyDelete