Thursday, June 2, 2011

So Here's The Gist...

Hello readers, both future and present!

Let me break this down for you. Like I say in my profile, I am the cynical student. I expect motives and kitsch behind most events in life. I have been at this university for six years now and am near graduating with my bachelors in music. So in those moments of self deprecation, I often feel like that I've spent too long pursuing a degree of no worth. If that's not enough to make someone cynical, I don't know what is.

Many of my professors have said, if you have a question, chances are that someone else has the same one. I think it's safe to say that about most facets of life. I feel like a pretty normal student. I worry about bills, work, grades, tuition, dating, dieting/health, friends and when the next school vacation is. I have survived college this far without a car. My parents are not fiscally responsible for me. At 24, I have reached independence.

Now in pursuit of the elusive degree, I have devoted most of my time to the Music Department and to working. I have NOT been a well-rounded student. If it doesn't have credits or cash attached to it, chances are I won't be there. I have not attended any sporting events, well... I went to a rugby game once so my friend could check out one of the cute players. I don't get too involved with activities on campus. I haven't even been to a FREE movie at the Bengal Theater. I haven't been to the bingo nights (even though I hear some of the prizes are amazing, Wii, flatscreens, gift baskets from Silver Fox {wink}). I basically haven't been a REAL student. I've been a Music Zombie Student. So I'm going to spend my last year, trying to start it all over.

So for six years I have worked on campus... through the Help Desk, Distance Learning and most recently Photographic Services. Part of the new job is this blog. Part of this blog is attending events and documenting life as a student. I hope it can reach other students, maybe help us understand each other, maybe get people more involved, maybe just improve my writing skills, or maybe I'll just have some fun. It may or may not work. But I hope I can make it amusing enough to bring you back.

XO, Nanette

P.S. You may note, I'm not an english student. I'm a music student. Pardon grammatical errors.

2 comments:

  1. OK, as a "student of life", I am claiming the right to openly lurk your university blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your coinage of "Music Zombie Student"
    That'll be the day when you attend a basket ball or football game. Want a full report when you do.

    ReplyDelete