Thursday, June 9, 2011

Summer Working... Reading...

Hello again!

It's been a slow few days as far as student life on campus goes. But that's typical for summer... There's plenty of time to read books, watch all the TV and movies that you've missed during the last school year, not to mention friends to catch up with, parties to attend, house to clean and non-procrastination tainted relaxation. Plus with this bipolar weather, it's a good idea to have plenty of inside and outside activities available.

Like a lot of students, I'm working this summer. Two jobs actually, this one - which is more fun than a job - and at the library Distance Learning Center (DL in future references). I couldn't be a bigger fan of working on campus, particularly work study jobs. In the summer, when the work is slow and you don't have anything to study, it's almost like designated reading time. It's not for everyone (particularly if you don't like down-time... or reading) but if you enjoy a little forced quietude, it makes for an excellent environment.

Last summer I made it through 26 books (not all at work, they keep you busier than THAT). This year, I'm taking it easy on the reading. I can't recommend everything I read, but I've weeded out the tedious novels. If you're looking for suggestions, look no further.

Uplifting - Same Kind of Different As Me - Hall + Moore
Short Stories - Couldn't Keep It To Myself* - Wally Lamb and a bunch of lady prisoners
Young Adult - An Abundance of Katherines* - John Green
Mystery - The Body of Christopher Creed - Carol Plum-Ucci
Historical Fiction - The Heretic's Daughter - Kent
Fiction - The Help - Kathryn Stockett
Holocaust - The Book Thief - Markus Zusak
Series - The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo* - Steig Larsson
Last Year's Campus Read - The Curious Incident of The Dog In The Night-Time - Mark Haddon

*Disclaimer:  These books contain adult language, violence and/or suggestive content and could be rated R.

That's one thing that can be said for all of this rainy weather... perfect timing for curling up with your beverage of choice and good novel. Too bad I've burned through most of my "To Read" list. If you have any suggestions or recommendations for me or other readers, please feel free to leave them in the comments! :)

XO, Nanette

1 comment:

  1. Nanette,
    Thanks for the awesome suggestions! I have heard good things about all those books, and have only read a few. I will add them to my summer reads list:)
    Have your read the Hunger Games? They are "Young Adult," but I loved them. Do you have a copy of The Help? I have been trying to get a hold of it....

    ReplyDelete